History of the Practice
The Practice was started in the 1920’s by Edgar Messervy, who was later joined by his brother Albert. Albert went on to become a Professor in Veterinary Medicine and taught for many years at Bristol Veterinary School. Throughout that time and after returning to Jersey, he played a huge role in progressing and promoting the Jersey Cow on the world stage.
Family connections continued. Charles Gruchy (senior) became a Partner in the Practice, known as David Place Veterinary Hospital, to be joined in 1979 by his son – the present Charles Gruchy! Ben Linnell, who joined the Practice in 1992, was Albert Messervy’s step-grandson.
As with many general practices in the UK, the original mainstay of veterinary work – farm animal practice – diminished throughout the eighties and nineties, and small animal work became the dominating requirement. In response to this, the Practice relocated from its cramped premises in David Place to Georgetown in 1998. A purpose built facility was constructed, and the Practice became the New Era Veterinary Hospital.
You can follow our current history, by simply following us on Facebook.